Saturday, April 29, 2006

Solomon Burke - Meet Me In Church (Atlantic 2527)

Meet Me In Church

Ok folks... here's the record that did me in! Although this song is available on the excellent Home In Your Heart box set, it's the stereo mix. Here's the crunchy mono slab of vinyl that lives in my jukebox. It is, in my opinion, the definitive version of Joe Tex's 1962 Dial side (also covered by Bobby Marchan on Cameo in 1967...). Recorded in Memphis with Chips Moman's 'A team' in 1968 (which included Reggie Young on guitar, Tommy Cogbill on bass, and Bobby Wood on the keyboards), produced by Tom Dowd, and arranged by the great Arif Mardin, it's positively transcendent stuff!

Solomon was already on his way out Atlantic's door when this was released... (the Soul Clan single was Atlantic 2530) and there would be just one more single on him (a cover of Ray Charles' What'd I Say, backed with Toussaint's Get Out Of My Life Woman, from the same Memphis sessions) before he signed with Bell and recorded in Muscle Shoals... I'm just loving the Bishop's Southern Soul side, aren't you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving this site and the fantastic music you put up here.

I had the privilege of seeing the great man himself in concert last night at The Sage, Gateshead and he was just awesome. Charisma by the bucket load. That voice, what an instrument. Long live The King.

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also at The Sage, Gateshead, Solomon Burke is a true legend in every way. There is no voice equal to his, and what a show. Two Hours of soul classics from the King in his Throne, Everybody Needs Somebody...

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home