Friday, August 10, 2007

Slim Harpo - I've Got My Finger On Your Trigger (Excello 2309)


I've Got My Finger On Your Trigger

OK folks, by popular request here's the other song Slim recorded on that last fateful trip to Music City.

The personnel remains the same as on Folsom Prison Blues, with the notable addition of the great Pee Wee Ellis arranging the horn charts. It's a little known fact that after the famous 1970 'mutiny' in the James Brown Band (led by Maceo Parker), many of the 'King's Men' wound up in Nashville. There are 45s on Excello from this period by Maceo and Marva Whitney, and Bob Wilson would later work with Richard 'Kush' Griffith at the label as well.

Pee Wee liked what he heard from the band Wilson had put together for the session, and told him that Karl Himmel's drum pattern on here 'messed his mind up!' I'm right there with that, baby.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you much. I'm trigger happy.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

If you like soul, there's a really amazing album that just came out on HackTone - 'First Landing' by The Dynamics. It is excellent - a rare soul album that slipped under the radar. They're touting it as a mix of smooth Detroit and gritty Memphis soul and I agree -- the opening song is killer! Of course, there's a MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/dynamicssoul

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home