Monday, April 02, 2007

Ralph "Soul" Jackson - Sunshine Of Your Love (Atlantic 2593)


Sunshine Of Your Love

Like I was saying over on The B Side, this record just positively cranks!

A cover of a tune released the year before by one of Atco's new 'rock era' acts, it was produced at Fame by Spooner Oldham, making it like the 'harmonic convergence' of all things Atlantic, or something. Check out the horn charts! I'm not sure if that's a Harrison Calloway arrangement, or if Spooner came up with the idea himself, but get out da way!!

Play this one LOUD children, and dream of a world where Ralph "Soul" Jackson had the top ten hit, not those other guys.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did and it does... All I can say is WOW! I just dropped by to say thanx for all the positive support last week. The Cook Out is apparently a pretty hard to find piece. I'm glad I could help spread the word.

1:50 PM  
Blogger The Stepfather of Soul said...

Hot stuff as always!

10:41 AM  
Blogger TravelingMermaid said...

WoooooW!!

7:33 PM  
Blogger whiteray said...

Thanks -- great share!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw Ralph do this number at the Ponderosa Stomp Wednesday night! And Alex Chilton backed him up on guitar! What a night!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the horns! Specially the bari sax in this number. Thanks so much for this post.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw Mr. Jackson play with Wiley and the Checkmates in Memphis, and he made me sing this with him! Amazing....

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kicking tune! Still doesn't beat Ella's version, but it's still cooler than an eskimo in an ice jacket!

What a blog!!

Have to shoot now and start searching for this ....

5:42 AM  
Blogger Max Frost said...

Nice article about Ralph in the new Oxford American magazine. I wish there was more music by him available, he is really amazing.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home