Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ann Sexton - You're Gonna Miss Me (77 133)


You're Gonna Miss Me

OK, here's that positively combustible tune I was talking about over on The B Side. Written by Miami's own Paul Kelly, and produced by 'BoLegs' Miller, it was reportedly recorded in Memphis for a Nashville record company... this record sure got around! It would be Sexton's biggest hit, climbing to #47 R&B in September of 1973, the month after John R 'retired' from WLAC.

I don't have any session info here, but It actually sounds more Muscle Shoals than Memphis to me. In any event, it remains, like I said, one of my favorite songs. Check out that bass line, the wah-wah, the fat Hammond, and that drum kit, whoa! Miller's horn charts just burn, not to mention the sheer power of Ann's vocal performance. My kind of stuff, man. As you may know, it was included on Oliver Wang's Soul Sides Volume One just last year (great minds thinking alike, and all of that... you know how it is).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, nice one.

10:30 AM  
Blogger HSB DaveB. said...

SUPER! Funny as I've been on a mad Ann Sexton kick at the moment. Trying to track down "You've Been Gone Too Long" on 45. A few on Ebay, but pricey indeed. Never heard this one. Thanks so much!!

Peace and SOUL,
Dave...

PS. First time visitor. Dropping you in my roll ASAP!

2:47 PM  
Blogger whiteray said...

Thanks much, Red! Another good one that I'd never heard.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check www.baltic-soul.de to see her perform live at the Baltic soul Weekender.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home